Wednesday, March 11, 2015

13th Age & 5E Mass Combat Rules

My first love on Golarion was Nirmathas, the foresty, ranger-y, Robin Hood-y region locked in a war with its expansionist and ultra militarized neighbor, Molthune.  My love for Nirthmas was what led me to my now fervent desire to see mass combat rules for an RPG.  Why?  Because apparently Paizo will not do a Nirthmathas/Molthune adventure path without better mass combat rules.  James Jacobs once said that a workable mass combat system should do the following:
1) Continue to involve the PCs as individuals and incorporate their stats and abilities;
2) Be easy to learn but difficult to master; and
3) Have a wealth of expansion and customization options.
Well, just this month both 13th Age and D&D 5E have released mass combat rules.  I'm interested in taking a look at them.  13th Age's rules are just in the prototype stage and seem to be much more story than mechanics-driven (which is not surprising given 13th Age's mechanics in general).  I'll take a look and let y'all know what I think.  If you have thoughts, post them in the comments.

13th Age Mass combat rules here.

5E Mass combat rules here.

No comments:

Post a Comment