Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Invoking IP: Trollface

Just a short update today--work and school are killing me right now!  Yesterday, Kotaku had an excellent article about the creator of the Trollface meme and the work that he's done to protect his copyright.  This is a good demonstration of how illustrations are both the itea and the expression of the idea at the same time, and therefore highly protected.

I'm putting this up for two reasons.  First, it's a good illustration of how copyright owners can, should, and do protect their intellectual property.  Secondly, a lot of my work up to date has been of the "let's destroy all the copyrights" variety for those want to interpret it so.  That's not what I'm about, and I want to highlight a good case where a copyright holder has protected his rights while also licensing them when and where he feels it was appropriate to do so.

(c) 2008 Carlos Marcio Ramirez

No comments:

Post a Comment