Tuesday, August 19, 2014

A Gaymer's Quest

I have a confession to make.  I love games.  I love card games.  I love board games.  I love role-playing games.  I like arcade games.  I love strategy games.  I love computer games.  I don't much love fighting games, but I guess everyone's got to have their niche within a niche.

Oh, I'm also gay, but that's old news and not a very big deal.  This is my second coming out.  The first one was tough; telling everyone I know that I'm gay was nerve wracking at the time.  But over a decade later, all the anxiety seems silly now.  Not so with the gaming thing.  All the shame, the anxiety, the fear, it's still here.  But, I gotta be who I am.

I'm a gaymer!

That's why I went to GenCon this week.  I just up and bought a ticket to see what it was like.  What they were like; my people.  Would they be normal or would I be surrounded by walking social disorders that only left their mothers' basements for these "Best 4 Days in Gaming" every year?  The good news is that I met some of the most interesting and well-rounded people I've ever encountered during my five days in Indiana.

Over the next few days, I'm going to catalog my trip to Indianapolis: what I did, what I thought, who I met, and how it all fit together--at least for me.  After that, I'm just going to cover my own gaming life.  I hope that you enjoy reading this as much as I enjoy writing it.

Boyd

No comments:

Post a Comment